Thursday, January 10, 2008

And what if I had picked up over that?

So, I decided to reach out and try to connect my words with other alcoholics today. I've been so touched by all of the honesty that's been gifted to me by other AA's that I wanted to step outside my comfort zone and join in. Here was my leap into the abyss:

Sober Girl to BuddyT show details 9:37 AM (2 hours ago)

Thank you for an informative and amazing site!

Would you consider listing my personal blog? It's my story of spiritual recovery and I'd love to have it be accessible to anyone sick and suffering. My address is:
http://ingenueinterrupted.blogspot.com/ Thank you so much! Ingenue

Here was the reply I received:

BuddyT to me show details 9:59 AM (2 hours ago)

Hi,
Okay, I went to your blog. I read "My sibling can suck it." I'm afraid I did not see any "spiritual recovery" there I would care to pass on to myvisitors.
BuddyT About.com Guide to Alcoholism
http://alcoholism.about.com

Hmmm. OK. Well I admittedly haven't been sober for long, so I may be mistaken here. I thought I heard about 300 people tell me it's really important to get in touch with your feelings, no matter how brutal they are, but I could be wrong. I could have sworn someone mentioned something about journaling anonymously to try and put the pieces together in a safe place where other involved parties are not likely to be hurt. Maybe it was just brain fog from early sobriety tho.

No I'm sure Buddy is right. It's much better for us to judge each other and make sure that all newbies know that some feelings are not right NO MATTER WHAT. You can't drink over it, but bottle it up inside and see if you can't find some new method of self-destruction to unleash on yourself. Far better than admitting that a non-alcoholic sister is hurting your feelings with her uninformed ideas about your sobriety. Sheesh! So I responded:

Sober Girl to BuddyT show details 11:39 AM (52 minutes ago)

I'm sorry you feel that way. While that was simply a post of catharis there are more where I talk about the simple every day grace of being granted another sober day. My writing voice is admittedly young, but certainly not singular. I've read through plenty of the blogs you listed and there aren't only pretty sentiments expressed. The point of my blog is to show simply and honestly the good, the bad, and the ugly of recovering your spirit. I'm surprised to receive this level of judgement from a fellow alcoholic. Which program are you working again? I have 76 day sober today, I'm still counting days, why on earth would you think that I wouldn't have difficult emotions to express? I really expected more from someone who seems to be concerned with helping Alcoholics stay sober. Guess just not this alcoholic, huh?


I was upset at first, but now I find myself undeterred. It's all a lesson one way or another and this one really hits home. A fine, shining example of everything I do not want to be in my recovery. I'm going to go meditate on some of my lingering resentments now, that dude's lack of open-mindedness really put the fear of god in me. Or the fear of ignorance. Whichever comes first....

I.I.

No comments: